Advocate for Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone gunman arrested for his alleged involvement in the November 26 terror strikes, on Tuesday sought four weeks time to reply to the draft charges proposed by the prosecution. Abbas Kazmi, who was appointed by the court last week to represent Kasab, sought time to study the case.
A city magistrate on Wednesday told the 26/11 trial court that prime accused Ajmal Amir Kasab had confessed before her voluntarily, his role in the terror attacks, saying he wanted others to draw inspiration from his confession.
Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror attack on Mumbai in November last year, admitted that he was guilty during the ongoing trial at a special court in Mumbai on Monday.Kasab, who had retracted his earlier confession, on Monday pleaded guilty to the charges against him. He also narrated the entire sequence of events that took place during the terror siege.Kasab named Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Zaki ur Rehman Lakhvi as the mastermind.
Ismail Khan, an accomplice of arrested terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman alias Kasab, is the one who gunned down three top police officials in a gun battle at Cama Hospital, according to Kasab's statement recorded by the police. Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare, Additional Commissioner of Police Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar were shot dead by Ismail Khan.
Prime accused and the lone surviving terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, departed from his earlier stand on Monday, saying he could not understand the proceedings of the court conducted in English.
Speaking two days after his release on bail in a case under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, he also said a joint parliamentary committee should look into all such cases.
Key plotters of the 26/11 have once again escaped arrest upon the advice of Pakistan's intelligence agency, Inter-Service Intelligence officers.
The special court at Arthur Road jail has found Ajmal Kasab, lone surviving terrorist in the 26/11 attacks case, guilty of waging war against India and killing 170 people on 26/11.
'If we have to restrict and fight terrorism, first and foremost, we have to ensure communal harmony in the country.'
Praising Pakistani gunman Ajmal Amir Kasab proved costly to Special Armed Force Inspector General Rajendra Kumar with the Madhya Pradesh government on Wednesday issuing his transfer orders posting him to the police headquarters.
Tributes were also paid at the places targeted by terrorists including Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, Cama and Albless Hospital, Hotel Taj Mahal Palace, the Oberoi Trident, Nariman House, the Jewish community centre, and the memorial of ASI Tukaram Omble who was martyred while overpowering Ajmal Kasab, the only terrorist who was captured alive.
Muslim clerics and scholars have welcomed the capital punishment awarded to the Mumbai terror attack convict Ajmal Amir Kasab saying the court verdict has reiterated the faith of all countrymen in Indian judicial system.
The division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and R V More, apart from pronouncing the judgement on confirmation of death sentence to Kasab, will also deliver its verdict on Maharashtra government's plea against the acquittal of two Indians accused of aiding in commission of the crime.
The execution of Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab in the wee hours on Wednesday has been welcomed by people from all over India. After nearly a four-year-long legal battle, , the Supreme Court had confirmed the death penalty awarded to the Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative by the trial court and later upheld by the Bombay high court.
Hafiz Abdul Salam Bhuttavi, an United Nations-designated terrorist who trained the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) attackers for the 2008 Mumbai terror attack and acted as the outfit's chief on at least two occasions, died in a prison in Pakistan's Punjab province while serving a sentence for terror financing, his aide said on Wednesday.
Reacting to the apex court verdict which upheld the death sentence awarded to Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case, senior advocate Raju Ramachandran, who defended him in the apex court as amicus curiae, said he "bows down" to the ruling.
Pakistan on Friday said it has so far not requested consular access to Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured during the Mumbai terror attacks, as India has not provided any evidence on his identity and nationality. Consular access is usually sought once the identity and nationality of an accused are established, Foreign Office spokesman Mohammad Sadiq told Pakistan's Dawn News channel.
The special court appointed Anjali Waghmare (40), a lawyer with the Maharashtra Service Legal Authority, to defend Kasab in the November 26 terror strike, which is likely to begin on April 6 in the high security Arthur Road jail in Mumbai.
Videos this week: Kasab hanging and more
Medical tests have revealed that Ajmal Amir Kasab, prime accused in the Mumbai terror attack case, is above 20 years of age and not a juvenile as claimed by him.
Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab has moved the Supreme Court challenging his conviction and death sentence in the 28/11 Mumbai attacks.
When the weapons were being identified in the special court, Kasab kept laughing at the witness and shook his head indicating that the weapons did not belong to him. This invited the wrath of Judge M L Tahaliyani, who warned Kasab to behave properly in the court. The judge told him that all the time he was seen laughing.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Mumbai carnage terrorist arrested, was today remanded in police custody till January 19 by a magistrate's court for his role in the shootout at the Cama and Albless Hospital in south Mumbai.
The officials of Federal Bureau of Investigation grilled Mohammad Ajmal Amir Iman Kasab, the lone Lashker-e-Taiba militant involved in November 26 terror strikes, for over nine hours recently to ascertain about his role and handlers in Pakistan.
Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone captured terrorist of the audacious Mumbai terror attack, was trained by the Pakistan Marines, an elite unit of the Pakistan Navy, says a report in The Week.
Nine years after he sacrificed his life to capture 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab, Tukaram Omble's daughter says that citizens must realise that losing security personnel is not only the family's loss but also that of the country.
Ajmal Amir Kasab may be awarded a death sentence, but the three crucial men behind the attack -- LeT founder Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, the outfit's operations commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, chief plotter of 26/11 Sajid Mir, continue to be on the run.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman alias Kasab, the lone terrorist caught alive during the November 26 terror attacks in Mumbai, was on Wednesday further remanded in police custody till January 6 by a court in Mumbai. Due to security concerns, Ajmal was not produced before a regular court, and Metropolitan Magistrate N N Shri Mangale and public prosecutor Eknath Dhumal went to the police lock-up, where the terrorist is being kept.
In yet another flip-flop, Pakistan has denied asking India to handover the lone November 2008 Mumbai attacker Ajmal Amir Kasab to it.
Ujjwal Nikam, special public prosecutor in the Mumbai terror attacks, says the prosecution will have a good case.
Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab, who was on Monday held guilty in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case, was given a fair trial, Maharashtra government said.
Almost every claim made by India about Pakistan's role in the 2008 Mumbai attacks has been backed by investigator, who probed the case in Islamabad.
The sole convict in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case, Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, on Tuesday pleaded with the Supreme Court to commute his death sentence to life imprisonment.
Cut to the task, Pawar immediately got back to work after the special court ended its proceedings on Monday at around 3.45 pm. Pawar ensconced himself inside the court to study the documents in details keeping a bevy of eager media persons waiting for more than two hours.
The government has said that Ajmal Amir Kasab, who has been sentenced to death in the Mumbai terror attacks case, may be hanged in a year.
The family of slain assistant police sub-inspector Tukaram Ombale, who caught Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab alive during the 26/11 terror attacks, expressed satisfaction with the terrorist's conviction but demanded that he should be given the death penalty. "It is good to hear that Kasab was found guilty. We were eagerly awaiting this news since morning. He should be given the death penalty," said Vaishali Ombale, daughter of the policeman.
The Maharashtra government on Wednesday refuted the allegation of the sole convict in 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case, Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, that he was not given fair trial and said death sentence awarded to him was a permissible means of punishment.
Netizens applauded him for calling out terrorism stemming out of Pakistan on Pakistani soil.
A Federal Bureau Investigation team visited the village of Ajmal Amir Iman Kasab, the lone terrorist captured during the Mumbai attacks, in Pakistan's Punjab province to probe his inks to the deadly terror strikes and was still continuing its investigation.
The expert, Dr Sudhir Nanandkar, told the court that Kasab's chest X-ray shows a complete fusion of the clavicle (collar bone), indicating that he could be 22-years-old.